Pre and Post Licensing Requirements - Child Care Providers Training & Continuing Education Kit (New Jersey)
Your Only Option in Substantive People Development Products
New Jersey publishes specific requirements for new hires, annual continuing education and staff development. We site that rule below. This manual has all of the courses required for providers in the State of New Jersey. Click Here for the statutes from the New Jersey website.
You make usage of it by paying an annual subscription of $179.95 and as modules are completed, complete the review questions and send to us for Validation of Completion for administrative and care delivery staff.
Click Here for printable explanation of how annual subscription works (This is applicable in each state):
Click Here for individual staff development and continuing education subjects
Here is the applicable state statute:
§10:122-4.7 Staff orientation and development
(a) The center shall ensure that all newly hired staff members receive orientation upon being hired and complete all of the following areas within two weeks of his or her date of hire and prior to working without direct supervision by an approved staff person 18 years or older:
1. Supervising and tracking all children, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-4.3(a);
2. Understanding center operations, policies and procedures, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-4.5(b)3;
3. Implementing group size limits and primary caregiver responsibilities, as applicable, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-4.4;
4. Recognizing and reporting child abuse and/or neglect, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-4.8;
5. Evacuating the center and using the fire alarms, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-5.2(l)1;
6. Implementing the center's release policy, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-6.5;
7. Implementing the center's statement of policy on the disciplining of children, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-6.6; and
8. Implementing health practices, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-7.1 through 7.11.
(b) The center shall ensure that all staff members who work at the center for at least 20 percent of the center's weekly operating hours complete 10 hours of continuing staff development each year, except as specified in (d) below. Each staff member shall complete at least two hours of staff development each year in each of the three following areas:
1. Child growth and development, including, but not limited to:
i. Understanding the stages of child development;
ii. Planning for and providing age appropriate activities;
iii. Creating a classroom environment;
iv. Including children with special needs in the center's program; and
v. Other Office of Licensing-approved areas;
2. Positive guidance and discipline, including, but not limited to:
i. Using positive methods of guidance and discipline;
ii. Promoting positive staff/child interactions;
iii. Promoting family involvement and communication with families;
iv. Recognizing, reporting and preventing child abuse and neglect; and
v. Other Office of Licensing-approved areas; and
3. Health and safety procedures, including, but not limited to:
i. Understanding New Jersey's child care center licensing regulations;
ii. Understanding the nutritional needs of children;
iii. Implementing infection control techniques;
iv. Recognizing and responding to symptoms of illness and disease;
v. Recognizing and responding to injuries and emergencies;
vi. Preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome;
vii. Placing infants in the appropriate sleep position;
viii. Administering medication and health care procedures; and
ix. Other Office of Licensing-approved areas.
(c) For newly hired staff members, the orientation specified in (a) above may be included in the required 10 hours of staff development specified in (b) above.
(d) In lieu of the child care staff development specified in (b) above, the director, head teacher(s), group teacher(s), and program supervisor(s) shall each complete 20 hours of staff development each year in one or more of the following:
1. Professional development related to the New Jersey Administrators' Credential approved by Professional Impact New Jersey, or the National Administrator Credential offered by the National Child Care Association;
2. The National Administrator Credential offered by the National Child Care Association or Professional Impact New Jersey-approved professional development related to the New Jersey Infant/Toddler Credential; or
3. Equivalent staff development in three or more of the following areas:
i. Planning and evaluation;
ii. Staff management and professional development;
iii. Educational, physical activity, and special needs programming and program development;
iv. Fiscal management;
v. Legal issues, including ADA guidelines;
vi. Facilities management;
vii. Family support and community resources;
viii. Marketing and public relations; and
ix. Leadership and advocacy.
(e) Directors shall complete staff development in understanding licensing regulations as provided by the Office of Licensing within 90 days of hire. Such staff development may be included in the required 20 hours of staff development specified in (d) above.
(f) The staff development specified in (a) through (d) above shall:
1. Be clock hours of staff development;
2. Be related to the ages of the children served by each staff member;
3. Be provided either by the center or by another source such as a college or university, community or professional organization, professional consultant, State agency, or an instructor approved by the Instructor Approval System of Professional Impact of New Jersey; and
4. Be presented by persons with relevant expertise. The staff development may include materials approved by the center, such as printed materials, television broadcasts, audio-visual materials, or websites.
(g) The center shall maintain on file documentation of the date, time, topic, presenter and attendance for all staff development and orientation completed by center staff members.
1. For staff development provided by the center, the center shall maintain on file documentation or a copy of all staff development materials used.
2. For staff development provided by another source, the center shall maintain on file documentation of the name of the person or organization that provided the staff development.
3. The center shall record each staff member's completion of staff development and orientation on the Staff Records Checklist, as specified in N.J.A.C. 10:122-4.1(b).Delivery: Once your order is placed you receive links to download your product. You have options of printed self-study products in digital format or usage of the on-line school. More details by phone or email: info@childcaretrainingcenter.